Yorkshire Terriers, or “Yorkies” for short, have become one of the most popular breeds of small dogs around the world. They are prized for their small size, intelligence, and affectionate personalities. However, before deciding to bring a Yorkie into your life, it’s important to consider the cost associated with owning one.
Initial Purchase Price
The price of a Yorkie puppy can vary greatly depending on factors such as the breeder, location, pedigree, and gender of the pup. On average, you can expect to pay anywhere from $800 to $2,000 for a purebred Yorkie puppy. Some breeders may charge even more for puppies with exceptional pedigrees or colors.
It’s important to note that purchasing a puppy from a reputable breeder is essential to ensure that your new family member is healthy and well-cared for. While it may be tempting to go for a cheaper option, buying from an unscrupulous breeder or pet store can result in health and behavioral problems down the line that could end up costing you much more in vet bills and training costs.
In addition to the initial purchase price, there are several other costs associated with owning a Yorkie. These include:
- microchipping: This is a one-time cost that typically ranges from $25 to $50. It’s important to ensure that your Yorkie is microchipped so that they can be easily identified if they ever get lost.
- Vaccinations: Yorkies require regular vaccinations to protect them from diseases such as parvo and distemper. The cost of vaccinations can vary depending on where you live, but you can expect to pay anywhere from $50 to $100 per visit.
- Food: Yorkies are small dogs and don’t require a lot of food, but high-quality dog food can be expensive. You can expect to pay anywhere from $20 to $50 per month on food, depending on the brand and size of the bag.
- Grooming: Yorkies have long, silky hair that requires regular grooming to prevent matting and tangling. grooming costs can range from $30 to $100 per session, depending on where you live and the level of service you require.
- Training: While Yorkies are intelligent dogs, they can be stubborn and may require professional training to learn basic commands and behavior. Training costs can range from $50 to $150 per hour.
Owning a Yorkshire Terrier can be a rewarding experience, but it’s important to understand the costs involved before making a commitment. from the initial purchase price to ongoing expenses such as food, grooming, and veterinary care, the cost of owning a yorkie can add up quickly. however, for those willing to invest in their pet’s health and well-being, the love and companionship provided by a yorkie can be priceless.